Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pull Ups and Pacifiers

Our youngest little Golden boy is now three years old, but he's having trouble giving up the last vestiges of babyhood: diapers and pacifiers. Technically, he's wearing Pull Ups and only has his "pappie" at nght, but he is not at all convinced that he's ready to give up either one.

When his daddy tucked him into bed last night he told him that "big boys don't have pacifiers." His chubby fist clamped over his mouth and from behind the pacifier he proclaimed "But I the baby." Ha!

Since he is the caboose of the clan, I tend to agree with him. I love to snuggle with babies and hold them and sniff their little baby heads. (Don't judge. You moms know exactly what I'm talking about. ) Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to the day when there are no more babies in our house. Or has that day already come and I just haven't acknowledged it yet? He does run around like his big brothers. And talk like his big brothers. And *sigh* smell like his big brothers.

To be honest, I don't want for his development to be delayed in any way. Just yesterday we started bribing him with stickers to use the potty. Whatever works. While I would love to keep him in my arms forever, I love him too much to allow him to stay at this stage. Growth is hard sometimes. It takes work. But I know that he can do it - even if he doesn't.

And isn't that just the way the Father treats me too? Over my protests that I'm still a baby, He lovingly requires of me what He knows I can do. I can't teach that class - yes you can. Get a more mature Christian to disciple that person - I want you to do it. I just don't have the strength to move again, find a new home, in a new town, with a new church and new friends - I'll be with you every step of the way.

While I'm not getting stickers on a chart, the rewards of His presence, His strength, His joy, and just...HIM are enough to make me want to put away my pacifier.

Hebrews 5:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment