Monday, July 5, 2010

Family, Fireworks, and Questions

What a wonderful weekend! We spent time with my in-laws. At church, I was reminded of the high price that has been paid for my freedom - both spiritual and physical. And my heart swelled with pride in our country as I listened to a live band playing patriotic songs while my family (and a few thousand other Texans) watched the fireworks over Kingwood.

All in all, a good weekend.

So today we loaded the boys back into our car and made the trek back home. What would take us four hours to drive without kids, takes us five hours to drive with them. But they were good boys, didn't fight (too much), didn't sleep (oh well), and didn't require us to pull over and use the side of the highway as a urinal (this time).

Like I said, this weekend rocked!

And then, when we were about 45 minutes from home, sweet home, we hit a WALL of traffic. This was not the normal, early afternoon, weekday traffic. This was construction, major accident, lanes closed down kind of traffic. Ugh. So much for the boys not fighting...

As we ooched forward, we saw an electronic sign telling us that a nearby road was closed due to an accident. Generally, in the metroplex roads don't CLOSE for accidents. Lanes close for accidents. So we knew this must be a doozie. Probably a fatality. And that helped us be a little more patient with the traffic.

But when we got up to the road that was closed, we could see the problem...and it wasn't an accident...not yet anyway. On the bridge crossing near the road where we were driving, there was a person sitting on the railing with one leg hanging over the traffic below. Officers were on the scene atop the bridge. I assume they were desperately trying to talk him out of ending his life.

I have no idea what he decided. Did he make the leap into eternity, or is he in custody? Did he decide to face his problems or his Maker?

And is there a believer who knows him? Have they shared their faith? Has he ever heard of the One who willingly gave His life for him? And - is there someone in my life who needs to hear about Jesus? These are the questions with which I'm ending my weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment